Sunday, March 05, 2006

Missed it by that much “__”

Missed it by that much “__”

Yesterday right around 4:00 I left work and headed to pick up Girlfriend G, (here ta fore known as G), heading down the freeway thinking about nothing in particular other than making up a list of foodstuff to pick up at the local A&P (it isn’t called the A&P nor have I ever seen a A&P, but I like the way it sounds, as in Hey honey I’m going down to the A&P to get some maple syrup and cigarettes) a police cruiser and EMT SUV passed me like I was standing still. When I got to the Off ramp which is about a half mile away from G’s house I noticed about 10 cruisers, two fire engines, 3-4 ambulances and three very badly wrecked cars. I was actually on the overpass and I saw pieces of cars strewn through out the road, it looked like a car had hit a curb and rolled onto a parking lot of a Park/golf course/skateboard park/swimming pool/softball fields/ doggie park(the complex was laid out in the 60’s when there was nothing out there, no way could anything be built now the expense would be horrific and there is empty space near the on/off ramps, this is my public service announcement of the day). The Fireman was trying to extract the guy from the car and I noticed in my rear view mirror that the police closed off the off ramp behind me. I thought I was able to proceed beyond the carnage. But the police were directing the cars on the overpass back on to the freeway. I was concerned that G would freak out and I hoped that she didn’t hear the accident and I was glad that the sirens were already off.

As I was exiting the overpass to get on the freeway I saw the lifeguard helicopter coming in for a landing. While I hoped that everyone was ok (from what I saw I was very surprised to hear that no on was killed and as of now no one seriously hurt, Hats off to the National Safety council), I had to go several miles out of my was as all the cars forced off as well as all the normal traffic went to the nearest two off ramps. 15 minutes I arrived at G’s house top see her crying hysterically, since I was supposed to arrive at around the time the accident happened and she heard the sirens and saw the helicopter land from her vantage point ¼ mile from her house (she could feel the whop-whop of the helicopter) I was dead, maimed, and not gonna pick her up.

Weekend went well until the Oscars started. Since she may read this blog some day I better let it go.

Back to work tomorrow
Congrats to Phillip Seymour Hoffman for his win.

No comments: